Feb 4, 2008

Are You Patriotic?

Scribbled by Angelina

Every Monday morning at my school, hundreds of students pledge their allegiance to the national flag hanging above the pole in front of them.

Kepercayaan Kepada Tuhan
Kesetiaan Kepada Raja Dan Negara
Keluhuran Perlembagaan
Kedaulatan Undang-Undang
Kesopanan Dan Kesusilaan

Does saying these phrases aloud make any difference to how we act and feel towards our country each day? Do the students even care or know what they mean? Now, isn't this just a waste of time?

I believe everyone reading this have taken up their hands and said the pledge before. Not once, not twice. But uncountable times. Ask yourself this:

1. Does reciting this make you believe in God more than you ever did in the past?
2. Does reciting this make you more loyal to your country?
3. Does reciting this make any sense to you?
4. Does reciting this make you respect the law more than ever?
5. Does reciting this make you a more polite?

These are, in my opinion, merely mindless repetitious incantations. Shouldn't it be the way that the nation is allowed to pledge their allegiance at their own free will? The oral recitation of the pledge is not sincere at all, holding no purpose or importance to the country and the people.

To prove that what I say is right, you can ask the people to say, "I shall kill myself after I recite the pledge." and see how many actually jump down the building afterwards. Well, you get my point.

Every time I see hundreds of students standing straight, singing the national song and saying the pledge, I wonder how many actually love our country with all their heart, and how many who say it just because of the forced patriotism in our country, Malaysia. Are we looking at true patriotism? Or just the mere appearance of what seems to be as seen by our government?